Saturday 13 October 2012

Star Wars: The Clone Wars "A War on Two Fronts"

Exactly a week after the episode airs, I finally am doing my review for A War on Two fronts. Blame the slowness of StarWars.com in putting up the guide images for that, they only put it up when I had no time to do this review, but better late than never!
To start off, we were introduced to two new characters in this episode, Saw and Steela Gerrera. Saw I think I will get to like perhaps, but I can already tell I dislike Steela. I understand they wanted to throw someone else into the mix between Ahsoka Tano and Lux Bonteri, but she's an adult and easily from watching the interactions just too old for Lux. The love triangle between Ahsoka, Lux & Steela was intriguing to watch though, but the execution could have been better. My hope at some point in the arc is we see Ahsoka forced to tap into the Dark Side and to slay Steela, which I think would be a perfect ending for the arc, and add a twist for Ahsoka's character.
The training scenes were pretty decent in my opinion. I didn't hate them like other people I know did. The one with the tanks was a bit silly, I will admit, but watching the interaction between Lux & Saw was interesting to watch. I really liked the training scene with the Destroyer Droids though. After all, the Jedi and Clones make it look so easy whenever we've seen them use detonators or droid poppers against Destroyers, so I didn't think others would actually have trouble with it, or that it wasn't plain easy like the Jedi make it look to do it. But as we saw, both Saw and Steela missed, although Saw eventually got it while Steela just got frustrated. While I dislike the character of Captain Rex, he definitely had his purpose in this episode, rather annoyingly for me, same goes for Anakin Skywalker.  I really liked the music they used in this scene. It fit quite well in my opinion, especially the part where Ahsoka walks over to talk to Steela.
The brief battle at the end was pretty good. The brief talking scene between Anakin & Obi-Wan Kenobi was unnecessary, as was Obi-Wan's appearance in this episode. It was good to see Saw and Lux put their differences aside to take out that AAT though, and the fighting was pretty well done. I honestly wasn't too impressed with how easily they got into the city afterwards though. I understand they had to get into the city before the next episode, and that Battle Droids are stupid of course, but it just felt way too obvious a tactic and it was more by luck than anything that they got in.

My verdict: I enjoyed this episode, the idea of Anakin training Rebels was simplistic but interesting to watch, and I look forward to seeing what happens between Ahsoka and Lux in the remainder of the arc. However, there were a few plot-holes and pointless scenes in this episode, and it was nowhere near as good as Revival. Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment